Daily Beirut

World

ABC News shows White House shooting scene

ABC News aired footage of a shooting near the White House as correspondent Selina Wang described hearing what sounded like dozens of gunshots.

··2 min read
Share

ABC News aired footage of a shooting near the White House while its chief White House correspondent, Selina Wang, was covering the scene live, according to a video report broadcast by the channel.

Wang wrote on her X account that she heard what sounded like dozens of gunshots while filming a routine social media segment, and quickly took shelter inside the media tent.

The clip, which spread widely, showed her reaction as the shots rang out in the background.

"I was in the middle of filming a video on my iPhone from the North Lawn of the White House when we heard the shots. It sounded like dozens of gunshots. We were asked to run to the press briefing room where we are now," Wang wrote.

Three sources told CNN earlier that the suspect in the shooting that took place on Saturday at the White House was 21-year-old Nasser Beast.

Add Daily Beirut to your Google News feed to get the latest first.

US President Donald Trump said earlier that the man who fired several rounds late on Saturday near the White House in Washington before being killed "had a history of violence and appeared to be obsessed" with the US presidential residence.

Trump wrote on his Truth Social account: "I thank the great Secret Service and law enforcement officers for their quick and professional response tonight to an armed man near the White House, who had a history of violence and appeared to be obsessed with the most cherished building in our country."

The Metropolitan Police Department said the Secret Service is leading the investigation, and urged the public to avoid the area while officers secure the site.

FBI Director Kash Patel wrote on X: "The FBI is on the scene and supporting the Secret Service in response to the shooting near the White House grounds. We will update the public as soon as we can."

The incident came about a month after an alleged assassination attempt against the president on 25 April while he was attending the annual White House Correspondents' Association dinner at a Washington hotel.

Share

Latest news