Daily Beirut

World

Iranian source says no deal on enriched uranium handover

Iran has not agreed to hand over its stockpile of highly enriched uranium, a senior Iranian source told Reuters.

··2 min read
Iranian source says no deal on enriched uranium handover
Share

A senior Iranian source told Reuters that Tehran has not agreed to hand over its stockpile of highly enriched uranium, and said no deal has been reached on shipping the material out of the country.

The source added that Iran’s nuclear file is not part of the preliminary agreement with the United States, saying it will be addressed in talks on a final deal and is therefore outside the framework of the current arrangement.

It was also said that if Iran’s Supreme National Security Council approves the memorandum of understanding with America, it will be sent to Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei for final approval.

Separately, Iran’s Tasnim news agency quoted “informed sources” as denying reports in some Western media that Iran had committed to transferring or removing nuclear material from the country under any possible understanding with the United States.

Those sources said the file was not included in the terms of the draft preliminary understanding under discussion. They added that any discussion of the nuclear file had been postponed to a later stage, after what they described as “the current phase linked to ending the war, and based on the implementation of reciprocal steps from the American side.”

Add Daily Beirut to your Google News feed to get the latest first.

The same sources denied reports of a long-term freeze on Iran’s nuclear activities for as long as 20 years, describing the claims as “baseless,” and said there are no nuclear details in the current draft understanding.

The comments came as the White House, in recent hours, moved Iran’s targets back onto the National Security Council agenda after President Donald Trump warned Tehran that time was running out to present a better offer.

US reports also said mediators were moving to prevent possible strikes on Iran within days, while the Strait of Hormuz added pressure to the ongoing contacts after Foreign Minister Marco Rubio warned against any Iranian attempt to impose fees or transit arrangements on ships in the waterway.

Earlier on Sunday, US officials told the New York Times that Iran had agreed to give up enriched uranium in the deal announced by President Donald Trump.

The newspaper said many details of the preliminary agreement were missing when Trump announced it, and it remained unclear whether the latest negotiations would succeed in extending the current truce and reaching a lasting peace, or collapse over the unresolved points that have left the war without a solution for months?

Share

Latest news